Overuse injuries are the most common injuries for those who play organized sports, especially for top-performing athletes.
Strength imbalances can lead to muscular strains, and cause muscle weakness and impair performance.
At Globerman Physical Therapy, we can help identify the risk factors and reduce risk of injury. This involves looking at strength, flexibility, balance and anatomic malalignments that can cause abnormal stress on joints.
Injuries can occur with any sport, but there are ways you can prevent many from occurring. Specific sports are more prone to certain injuries, therefore the prevention program is designed for each sport.
Common injuries for certain sports include:
- Basketball: sprains, strains, bruises, dislocations, ankle and knee injuries, more common in females, especially the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)
- Track and Field: sprains, strains, scrapes from falls, patellofemoral (knee) pain
- Baseball and Softball: strains, impact injuries, ligament tears
- Gymnastics: sprains and strains, stress fractures
- Football: bruises, sprains, strains, ligament and tendon tears, fractures, concussions, back injuries
- Soccer: bruises, cuts, sprains, strains, ankle injuries
Self help tips
- Always warm up: Prevent injuries by keeping muscles warm at the start of practice and games
- Use R.I.C.E method for acute injuries. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation for the first 48-72 hours
- Make sure you have proper fitting equipment